7/12/2006

Frustrating Hand

Hands like this are so frustrating. As if the deck wants to reward some idiot for playing poorly.

I am playing limit hold em and raise from mid position with J9 suited. I get 2 callers, and then the button re-raises. I call along with another player.

Flop is EXCELLENT for my hand. 8 7 10 with one card of my suit. I have flopped the straight and could still backdoor a flush. I bet out, the next player raises, the button calls, I re-raise, next player re-raises and the button calls once again. We cap the betting on the flop.

Turn is Q (not my suit) Now my straight is Q high and still the best possible hand. I bet out and both players simply call.

River is K and bad news. Now my straight is K high...but someone with AJ has me beat. Would one of these jokers really have stayed in with all the action of the flop of 7 8 10 with AJ?? Well, it was the only hand that could beat me...so I bet out again...and now the damn button raises me. I call, and yes, they had AJ offsuit.

So how many bad plays do I think the button made? Well, first, they re-raised my early/mid position raise with AJ. This is just stupid. You need a stronger hand to re-raise than you do to raise in the first place. AJ is a horrible re-raise, in my opinion. If I have AA AK AQ they are in bad shape, and even if I raised with KK QQ or JJ they are still not sitting very good. The next mistake was calling 2 bets cold on the flop of 7 8 10... They had no part of this flop, and it was bet and raised before it got to them? What in the world were they hoping to hit?

Then the turn comes...and voila...they've picked up a gutshot straight draw..so they call yet again and hit the miracle card on the river...the only card that could win the hand for them...and I lose a huge pot to someone who should have been out before the turn. ARGHHHH

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home